Monday, March 8, 2010

Random Oscar thoughts

- glad the academy, despite having a film that made more money than it knows what to do with, didn’t shy away from an indie darling for the major awards. Funny though how people don’t seem to be complaining about never having seen the Hurt Locker though, like they did with No Country. Maybe because Hurt Locker is about war?

- I have no real issues with the Hurt Locker’s best picture win, but I wonder how it will stand the test of time along with the other great war movies.

- The one award the Hurt Locker didn't deserve was original screenplay. Inglorious Basterds and A Serious Man were much better from a writing standpoint.

- Avatar got what it deserved, which was the technical awards. Sometime soon, someone will use this tech and make an unforgettable film, Avatar was just the first step.

- Admittedly, I did not see any of the performances in the lead actress category. But I still have a hard time wrapping my head around Sandra Bullock as a winner from a movie that looked like it belonged on Lifetime.

- I still hate the fellating of the lead actors and actresses. I get it, everyone thinks you’re great. I just don’t care.

- The best picture award seemed like an after thought. Cut out some of the filler so there’s not more suspense before sound editing than there is for best picture.

- Bring back Jon Stewart. Or Whoopi Goldberg. Or Ben Stiller as a Navi. The two host thing was garbage.

No comments: